Sunday, June 14, 2009

Time for Change Ready or Not!

Well the last couple weeks have flown by in a blur. The kids got out of school a week and 1/2 ago and they have played their last baseball games of the season. But the hardest thing to see come to an end was Gregor's stay here as a foreign exchange student but more important he was my daugters boyfriend and confidant. The developed a friendship over this last year trying very hard to always keep that line clearly drawn between friends and lovers because of the great physical distance they live from each other.
But knowing that in a few short months they would be seperated by an ocean and many miles of land....well let's just say you can't always choose who you fall in love with and in love they did fall. So the closer the time came for his host family to wisk him away on one last trip to see Seattle and the coast before he flew home over the North Pole to that land far away the more time they tried to spend with each other. They went to the Drive In (something Gregor had never done), took long walks with no paticular destination in mind, watched movies, attended graduation parties, going away parties and a lot of time at our house just hanging out.
The weekend before he left we went to the park and I took 6 rolls of film and about 40 pictures on the digital camera of them just acting silly then Jessie carried around the camera with them for the last week he was here and created a really cool scrapbook for him as a going away present. The night before he was set to leave at 5 am the next morning our family took him out to dinner at the local steak and seafood reastaunt then they went with a friend to watch a spectacular thunder & lightening storm before going to his house to finish packing his things for the long trip home.
Finally at 4:00 am I went over to pick Jessie up and the boxes of things that I will need to ship to him at home because he had way over the alotted 50 lbs of luggage allowed per passenger on a plane these days. But the hardest part of this what I swear was the longest day of the year I gave him a huge embrace and told him I loved him and that I hoped to see him again someday wishing him a safe journey I left him to Jessie....it was the most heart wrenching thing I have had to witness their embrace was so desparate and so much longing in their voices wishing that he didn't have to go...
Now that he is gone they are texting all day and she is talking about wanting to go there at Christmas time for a visit and then is going to start exploring the possibilities of going to college in his country. Or he may come to the University in our home town next year..I looked at Jess today and I said well you two can handle a year apart right? She smiled and said yes we will handle it then she set about changing bedrooms with her brother I guess new surroundings is the way she plans on getting this year in motion.. I cant wait for my sisters to be here in a couple weeks for the family reunion it will be a welcome distraction for her because I don't want her to go back to hanging out with the same friends (no drive or ambition) that she hung out with before Gregor came along because for the first time in the last four years I finally have my Jessie girl back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.