Well it has been three weeks since the medication change so I thought I would give a quick update. For the last two weeks I have been off the old anti-depressant, Welbutrin and I am on the full dose of the new mood stabilizer , Lamictal and I do feel like there is a little bit of a difference starting to peek through. I don't think that I am so quick to anger I do feel a little more tired this last week but I also attribute that to having the first migraine headache that I have had in about 3 or 4 months.
I have also been reading a book that my doctor recommended, Why am I still depressed? By Jim Phelps, M.D. It explains the differences between Unipolar and Bipolar and all the different stages in between. The one fact that stands out most to me right now is that for a long time people like myself were misdiagnosed as having depression. When in fact they have a form of being bipolar and when put on an anti-depressant they tend to create the level of bipolar disorder to progress and can have some dramatic effects on your moods and other aspects of the disorder even leading to suicidal thoughts and feelings. In some documented cases have even led to suicide. Scary! I am just glad that I finally decided that I didn't have to continue the way that I was feeling, that there had to be a better answer to the way I felt, and that I sought out help from a new doctor.
So just remember that if you aren't happy and are not enjoying life there are always other options and if your current health care provider doesn't meet your needs then take the initiative and seek help elsewhere!! Life is good and definitely worth living.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comments.